Monday, September 29, 2008

Thanks Jurassic Park....

At the tender age of 9, I remember my whole family (parents, 2 older brothers, and I) went to see Jurassic Park when it opened. I don't remember whether or not I was excited to see this movie, but actually seeing the movie was not my ideal of "exciting." After the dinosaurs showed up in the story line, I spent the remainder of the movie crying into my father's shoulder. At the conclusion of the movie, I was so convinced that the marvels of modern science made this movie possible and dinosaurs, a real threat. I asked my parents over and over, why would people want to bring dinosaurs back? I asked if the island where the dinos were kept was a real place, and if so, what could we do to make sure the dinos never left the island. I truly believed, while watching the movie, that making dinosaurs from amber preserved mosquitos was real.
Since then, I've often had a reoccuring dream that involves dinosaurs. In my dream about dinosaurs, I am usually with a small group of friends or family, and we're usually trying to find a place in the house that we can hide and hope the dino(s) don't find us, eat us, stomp on the house, etc. There's something about still being chased by dinosaurs in my dreams that unnerves me. This dream is almost identical to the dreams that involve me trying to seek shelter from tornadoes or hurricanes inside a house. I can still imagine myself, peeking out a window, hoping to see but afraid of seeing, a dinosaur, tornado, hurricane, etc.....

No comments: