Friday, December 5, 2008

New works....and more coming

This semester I cranked out a bunch of work. Not all of it was successful, and these pictures don't include everything I've done this semester. These are the first five objects I made this semester. I really make most of these things simultaneously, but there definately a progression.


This piece is titled Tripod. I made it as a continuation of a comment on the sexuality of children's toys that I had made in undergrad. In undergrad, I made a teddy bear like this out of an existing stuffed animal. Here I decided to realize it in clay.





This piece is titled Magical Thinking. Each of those pieces is about 2o-22" tall. Magical thinking is non-scientific reasoning that includes the idea that the mind can affect the physical world. If we don't believe we have control over our bodies, then what are the physical manifestations of this? Or, what if you thought unkindly of another, could you physically change that person by thinking about it?









This is a funny piece titled, Winston was a busy boy. Winston is my dog, a French Bulldog. He is loved and spoiled. Dogs are attention seeking creatures. A dog is a companion who is excited to see you when you come home, watches your every move, and seeks approval or affection. But they, like humans, have the ability to ignore others and be self servicing. Here, Winston's makin sure his nails are tip top!

No comments: