Monday, October 20, 2008

What kind of movie are you?

Last night I watched a movie called Ira and Abby. Yes, this is a romantic comedy, but sometimes we indulge the heart first and the mind second. I was in need of a light pick me up in cinematic form. The premise of the movie is that Ira is this neurotic guy who was raised by analysts and has been in therapy all his life. Abby is this carefree girl who has the power to get anyone to open up about their lives and see the light at the end of the tunnel. They decide to marry within hours of meeting. The movie deals with marriage and communication. When there's a lack of communication between partners, they often seek an outside source, ie: friend, therapist, mother, priest. But what he find is that he keeps trying to qualify love, rationalize love, put love in a box, etc. He does not understand why this woman, who has boundless empathy and love for all people, even complete strangers, decides that he is the ONE person she wants to marry. He can't accept that sometimes things are easier than he thought they were going to be. There is no secret formula for happiness, love, success, life in general. But often times we make things harder than they have to be.
I've been finding myself trying to make things harder. Something inside me believes that life should be this dire struggle. Everything should be stressful. Anything worth having is worth dying for, therefore I must die to get it? This is ridiculous. Sometimes being smart is a downfall. It causes a lack of enjoyment of simpler times. If my life is a movie genre, its most likely a romantic comedy, and I'm the hopeless neurotic that doesn't understand the simplicity of being happy. At least on this cold Monday morning anyways......

This music combo makes me giggle. Its probably not new, but I've never heard it before. Enjoy

No comments: